2019 Webinar: Understanding Treaty Rights and Obligations
Treaty rights and obligations are simultaneously fundamentally important and significantly under-appreciated. When it comes down to it, treaty relationships between Indigenous nations and the United States form the basic structures through which governance takes place. This is particularly salient in the context of natural resource stewardship. This webinar will present and explore key concepts associated with treaty relations, consider the impacts of specific treaties on current forestry work in this region, and invite questions and conversation about the obligations and opportunities at hand.
Date: Tuesday May 21 from noon-1pm central
Speaker: Joseph Bauerkemper, Department of American Indian Studies, University of Minnesota Duluth
Cost: $20 per webinar or $50 for the entire 2019 series
CEUs: This webinar has been approved for 1.0 CAT1 CFE by SAF. Credits only available to those that watch on their computer live or at a broadcast site.
You may also watch for no charge (and without registering) at a local broadcast site.
- Cloquet: Cloquet Forestry Center, 175 University Rd, Cloquet MN 55720. Contact Madison Rodman, firstname.lastname@example.org or (218) 726-6403.
- Crookston: 205 Owen Hall on the University of Minnesota – Crookston campus, 2900 University Ave, Crookston, MN 56716. Contact Phil Baird, email@example.com or (218) 281-8130.
- Duluth: Natural Resources Research Institute, 5013 Miller Trunk Highway, Duluth MN 55811. Contact Kristi Nixon, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- East Bethel: Cedar Creek Ecosystem Science Reserve, 2660 Fawn Lake Drive NE, East Bethel, MN 55005. Contact Caitlin Barale Potter, email@example.com or (612) 301-2602.
- Ely: Vermilion Community College, 1900 East Camp Street, Ely, MN 55731. Contact Rita Koch, firstname.lastname@example.org (218) 235-2160.
- St Paul: Green Hall, Room 19, UMN St Paul campus, 1530 Cleveland Avenue North, St Paul, MN 55108. Contact Eli Sagor, email@example.com or (218) 409-6115 or Matt Russell, firstname.lastname@example.org
All interested learners are welcome. For accommodations related to ability please contact Madison Rodman at email@example.com or 218-726-6403.